5 tips for maintaining your air compressor
Everyone knows that one of the most important pieces of equipment in any workshop is the air compressor. But not everyone knows how to properly maintain their air compressor. With proper maintenance, your air compressor can last for years and years. Here are five tips to help you keep your air compressor in top shape:
Maintenance Tips for Your Air Compressor
- Read the manual. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t bother to read the manual that came with their air compressor. The manual contains important information about your specific model of air compressor, and it’s essential reading if you want to keep your equipment in good condition.
- Clean or replace the filter regularly. One of the most important parts of your air compressor is the intake filter. The filter cleans the air before it enters the compression chamber, and it needs to be clean in order for your air compressor to work properly. Check the filter every few weeks and clean it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Change the oil regularly. Just like a car, your air compressor needs regular oil changes. Depending on how often you use your air compressor, you should change the oil every 50-100 hours of operation. Be sure to use the type of oil specified in the manual; using the wrong type of oil can cause serious damage to your equipment.
- Keep an eye on the gauges. Your air compressor has two gauges: a pressure gauge and a regulator gauge. The pressure gauge tells you how much pressure is in the tank, and the regulator gauge tells you how much pressure is leaving the tank. Check both gauges every time you use your air compressor and make sure they’re in the green zone.
- Perform regular maintenance tasks. In addition to changing the oil and cleaning the filter, there are a few other maintenance tasks you should perform regularly. These include checking for leaks, tightening loose bolts, and testing safety devices such as pressure relief valves. Consult your manual for specific instructions on how to perform these tasks.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your air compressor in top condition for years to come. Remember: proper maintenance is key to maintaining any piece of machinery!
Contact Pacific Air Compression in Portland, Oregon for air compressor maintenance and installation. We have been proudly serving our customers for over 30 years.